Magnesium oxide is used as catalyst support, a supporting solid surface onto which the catalyst itself can be installed, coated, impregnated or co-precipitated providing the required stability its operational environment of high pressures and temperatures, demands.
Specific applications include:
- as a catalyst in isobutylene isomerization
- as a support for steam reforming catalysts
- as catalyst support and SOx absorbent in fluid catalytic cracking reactors
- as raw material for hydrotalcite supported catalysts and process additives
- as raw material for spinel supports.
- as a catalyst in the emulsifier industry for the trans-esterification of glycerides, and catalytic transfer hydrogenolysis (e.g., keton reduction to alcohols) in fine organic chemicals industries